Bulletin Board

11/02/2011
This blog has moved, and will not be updated anymore! Head over to my new blog www.ohhpretty.com!

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

REVIEW : Jill Stuart Moist Silk Powder Foundation + FOTD : Sky Glow

Finally, I'm going to review the Jill Stuart Moist Silk Powder Foundation today! I know that quite a few of you have been excited about this. I apologize for it took me so long! So, let's go like a bull at a gate!



Packaging
The packaging is totally Jill Stuart - cute and princess-like. The pink bow is so adorable. However, I wished they used a material of higher value. The plastic compact feels so light, hence not sturdy at all. There is no separate compartment for the sponge, which also bothers me quite much.


Shade and Texture
I got it in 101 Linen, which is the lightest shade. It is a a neutral beige shade that evens out discoloration and covers redness excellently. The texture of the powder is very smooth, silky and lightweight. It applies evenly with the sponge as well as with a brush. I prefer my Dior Powder Foundation Brush to apply it with a stippling motion at first and then blend it in with circular motions.

I don't feel the powder is very moisturizing, but it is yet not drying at all.


Coverage
Light to medium. It does not sink into pores, but if you have very enlarged pores, you will need to use a primer before to achieve best results. Excellent at evening out discoloration and redness.

Finish
A bit powdery finish at first, but then transforms into a soft matte and lightly luminous finish.

Staying power
It stays put quite well during the whole day on my face, except on my oilier t-zone area. I noticed, it tends to crease a bit around that area, and around my laugh lines.


I used Dior Diorskin Sculpt Lifting Smoothing Concealer for red spots, and Dior Skinflash Radiance Boosting Pen to lighten my under eye area first, before I applied Jill Stuart Moist Silk Powder Foundation.


Now, here comes the off/on picture that everyone loves seeing, haha...


Verdict
What I appreciate the most about it, is the soft matte and lightly luminous finish it creates, and the fact that it evens out my redness perfectly. On the whole, Jill Stuart Moist Silk Powder Foundation is a good powder foundation. I recommend it to anyone with normal to combination skin, who is looking for a powder foundation that creates a natural soft matte look.

Price: 3/5
Packaging: 3/5
Texture and scent: 4/5
Finish: 4/5
Oil control: 3/5
========
Overall: C +



I hope this review was helpful. And isn't the on-off picture proof enough that my skin is not flawless at all without the help of concealer and makeup? ;)

.
.
.

I got my hands on the Clinique All About Eyes Serum De-Puffing Eye Massage, that I mentioned in the previous post.


CLINIQUE All About Eyes Serum De-Puffing Eye Massage


So, it comes in a sleek tube that is very handy to carry with in the makeup pouch for using it anytime you feel you need some refreshment for your eyes.


As you can see, it has this metal roller ball that dispenses the serum by using it in a rolling motion over your eyelids and under eye area. I have been using it for about 3 days now, and I like the cooling effect, that makes my eyes feel lighter and refreshed. I noticed an instant firming effect too.


However, I haven't noticed any brightening effect, nor that my dark circles have diminished. Maybe I have to use it for a longer time to see some results? We will see...

(click on the pictures to enlarge!)

.
.
.

Continuing with a 'makeup face', in order to make you forget my scary monster face from above, hehe...

By the way, I was wondering, if you prefer me showing the products that I used for my FOTD at the beginning or at the end (like I used to do till now)? Please let me know! ;)

Onto the look!


I dreamt of a fresh bright blue look last night, so I had to realize it today, haha...! Dug out my Dior 5-Colour Iridescent Eyeshadow ~ 009 Sky Glow from my drawer, which I have neglected for too long! Probably because my first look with this palette totally failed. I got it about one year ago I think, when I was a bloody (eye) makeup novice. At that time, I really didn't have a clue about eye makeup application.


I think, I have improved quite a bit, hehe...! At this point, I want to thank you all for your tips and suggestions! Let me be an example for succeeding through 'learning by doing'! Don't get me wrong, I'm far far away from a pro! I would say, I've reached level 45/100, if I should rate myself. ;)


Lydia of Alice in a new Wonderland suggested me to bring the eyeshadow a bit more towards the eyebrows. I tried it this time! Lydia was so right! I agree, that it opens my eyes a lot more, making them look brighter. Thank you, Lydia for your tip! So, what do you think? Is it more flattering for my eyes?


I applied the white eyeshadow allover the lids and in the inner corner of the eyes, blended it upwards towards the eyebrows. Next, I added the blue eyeshadow from the lashline upwards, but not as high as the white eyeshadow. Then, I applied the dark silver eyeshadow in the outer corners to add depth to eyes.


Finished with tighlining, lining the lower lashline very lightly, and mascara. I like the bright blue and the dark silver in this palette a lot! The blue is so fresh and bright, yet not too flashy.



Having a bad hair day! The ends are super dry and brittle, argh! For base makeup, I used Diorskin Sculpt Lifting Smoothing Concealer ~ 001 Ivory (as usual), and Estee Lauder Nutritious Vita-Mineral Loose Powder Makeup SPF 15 ~ Intensity 1.0, that I got last week.

So far, I like it a lot! The shade matches my skintone perfectly. I feel, it makes me look healthier, since the shade is not as pale as those of Japanese brands. I adore the natural and luminous finish it gives me. I will review this in depth later!


On my lips, I'm wearing Yves Saitn Laurent Rouge Volupté ~ 1 Nude Beige, and topped with Estee Lauder Michael Kors Very Hollywood Lip Gloss ~ 34 Starlet Peach.


Lipgloss always makes my lips look plump and full at once! Believe me, my natural lips are really small and thin! ;)


________
PRODUCTS I USED

BASE MAKEUP
- Dior Diorskin Sculpt Lifting Smoothing Concealer ~ 001 Ivoire / Ivory
- Estee Lauder Nutritious Vita-Mineral Loose Powder Makeup SPF 15 ~ Intensity 1.0

CHEEKS
- MAC Mineralize Blush ~ Hand-finish

LIPS
- Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupté ~ 1 Nude Beige
- Estee Lauder Michael Kors Very Hollywood Lip Gloss ~ 34 Starlet Peach

EYES
- Dior 5-Colour Iridescent Eyeshadow ~ 009 Sky Glow
- Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes ~ 0L
- Shiseido Lasting Lift Mascara ~ LL1 Black



Yay, feels so good, having finally reviewed the Jill Stuart Moist Silk Powder Foundation, hehe... I hope, you like my bright blue look!

Stay pretty!
Stay Ohh... pretty!

31 comments:

Audrey Chuchu said...

The foundation looks so nice! I've been lemming it for a while so I'm glad to see this review.
In your after picture, did you use any concealer or is that just the foundation?

I really don't need to spend any more money on another foundation... xD

Zuuchini said...

the powder looks perfect O_O in the picture, your face is flawless!!!

Jess said...

Audrey Chuchu:
Oops, sorry I totally forgot to mention that! Yes, I used concealer first! Fixed it in the post now! ;)

DSK said...

I have the dior quad, and I never thought to do a look like yours! It looks great, your eyes really pop.

ps. I really like your necklace too! :)

Rainy Days and Lattes said...

Hi Jess!

You look absolutely stunning. I love the luminosity in your skin :) Naturally, you have very nice skin! But the makeup just brightens up your entire look. The love the soft blue on your lids. I agree, putting the eyeshadow a bit toward the eyebrow does make a big difference. I should try it for myself as well :p The Dior palette is gorgeous! I like how the colors don't come off too "hard" looking. It's frosty and deeply pigmented but in a way where it looks soft to the camera lens :) Very pretty! I love your look today :D

The Jill Stuart foundation looks great! :) Very pretty packaging :D

Jess said...

DSK:
Yes, I remember that you have shown that palette in one of your posts some time ago!

Haha... oh yes, you should love your own creations, Steph! :p

[ miss hazel ] said...

I always think that you are such a diligent blogger by posting photos of all the products used on FOTD! lol!!

Lulu said...

gosh the powder is so pretty! and like you said, so jill stuart like! i think just using that would make me feel like a princess :p

i also like the cooling effect of the metal roller ball, but havne't really seen any distinct differences from using the serum itself.

sizbelle said...

good take on the JS foundation, i was lemming for this when i was in HK JS store last year but wonder hows the formula thus nvr pick it up. now i just need a trip to HK ASAP..

do keep us update if the clinique eye roller work for you..as i like cooling effect stuffs.

blue looks nice on you.

Liana said...

omg jill stuart's makeup looks so pretty and girly!

Jess said...

[miss hazel]:
Aww, thank you! I think, I could be more diligent though, haha... means, doing more in-depth product reviews.

M.A.C.nunu said...

lol I know what you mean about the difference between bare face and with foundation xD but I find that it's so much more useful to readers if they can see what we're working with!
Blue eyeshadow looks good on you! I'm really scared of using pale blues, it always ends up making me look like one of those women from the 80s with the bright blue eyeshadow T.T all I need is a sweatband around my forehead and a neon orange leotard!

Jess said...

M.A.C.nunu:
Yay, that would be such a gorgeous 80s look! :)

The fashion of the 80s actually seems to be quite en vogue, no?

coffretgorge said...

Jess the foundation looks superb! before i thought the JS foundie case was made of heavier material, thanks for the info! :) i have a sample and i've been reading lots of reviews about it. After reading yours i think im gonna wait and see for myself when I go to HK.

The N version has a separate compartment for the sponge if im not mistaken :)

sigh, your lip photos are always so perfect! :)

Dina (XYYan) said...

The packaging is just too pretty! And love your before and after look :)

eri said...

i'm loving all your fotds! always so cute and fresh :)
and i loooove your product reviews, so helpful and your pictures are always so pretty!

miss wiggle said...

You look lovely, Jess. The blue looks very serene yet youthful. :)

Sheila said...

You're so pretty!! Thanks for that tip, but I'm always afraid of my eyes looking puffy >___>

stellarvixen said...

nice posT~ am fine with your flow ;)
uu so the JS powder foundation is only C+
i'm never the experimental kind with pwdfdt..i've been using DiorSnow Sublissme 020 since 2-3years back..

Paul&Joe compact powder failed me terribly so its kinda nightmarish to tryout different pwd :P

i need to try those eyecare roller lol seems fun!

VERY Very pretty FOTD..
the color are intense yet soft..me liking the shadow you crafted!
love the whole look and your list of ingredients hehe

you look better with longer hair ;)

the Q-POT necklace is a beau right!
woohoo i too welcome your classic NAVY LongChamp LePliage! cool bro!

BeautyOnTheWay said...

Hi Jess,
My skin condition is very similar as yours, combination type and have large pores around nose and red spot as well. I was wondering about this JS foundation after I got the blusher in Fresh Apricot, but I have to admire that it's mainly just because of the beautiful packaging, and I didn't really know how's the powder itself until I saw your review, "covers redness excellently".......oh, what I'm waiting for???

Catherine said...

Oooh, I've always been so curious about the JS base makeup, thanks for the review!

And awwww lol Jess you are too hard on yourself. Even without makeup your skin is beautiful! Way better than my skin without makeup. =P

I love your FOTD and I wholeheartedly support Lydia's tip! I agree that the extra shadow really brightens up your eyes! :D

AtelierGal said...

The eye serum looks interesting, hope to read a review before I go buy :)

Yin said...

you always look so gorgeous! Im loving the blue shadow.

Btw do you have a review on the dior concealer, it looks quite good. x

Askmewhats said...

with or without makeup, you are gorgeous, seriously! and I salute you for posting the before and after makeup shot! You are so good with application and you were able to cover what needs to be covered and you don't look too made up!

Nic Nic said...

Awesome review! Now I know I'm not missing out on it much :D I really appreciate it before and after shot. You have lovely, clear skin btw!

Gorgeous FOTD!! I really like how you worked the eye makeup.. ahhh YSL lipstick completes the look fabulously!!

fuzkittie said...

I'm planning on a big JS haul from Good Dealer!!! Will def put that foundation on my list, it looks so good on you, and the case is so pretty, haha. Great springy look, I love the Dior e/s colors on you.

Crystal said...

The Dior palette is really pretty and the YSL lipstick, oh my, I am really tempted to buy all of them, haha!^0^

Kelly said...

Thanks fo rthe review on the Clinique rollerball. Now I want to pick it up, and probably will. The packaging on the Jill Stewart is so cute, and love your eye makeup. So pretty.

Tammy said...

Hey Jess! I think you should use blue more often. You look like a Jill Stuart ad model with this look! Thanks for reviewing the JS powder, I've been on the market for a new pressed powder lately and am definitely going to hit up a JS counter once I'm back in HK!!

izumi said...

what a gorgeous FOTD! i love sky blue on you :)

Robolegojupiter said...

Hey Jess! Since this foundation was a C+, which one do you recommend for to cover up pores/doesn't sink in fine lines that is A or A+ ;>

Popular Posts