Bulletin Board

11/02/2011
This blog has moved, and will not be updated anymore! Head over to my new blog www.ohhpretty.com!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

FOTD : Simple way to create more depth to flat Asian eyes 'MAC Gazette Grey and Dior Golden Spotlight'

Being 100% Chinese (Taiwanese to be correct, haha...), it is not surprising that I have typical flat and puffy Asian eyes. Actually, there is a tiny hidden crease, but generally speaking, I would say they are like monolids.

I had the hardest time figuring out how to apply eye makeup, to make my eyes appear brighter, and most importantly to me was, how to add depth in order to make the eyelids look less puffy without ending up with panda eyes, haha...

So today, I'm going to show you how I create more depth and definition. It's actually the quickest and simplest way I think. Basically, you will just need two shades - a dark color and a brighter color. Browns and greys are perfect neutrals for an everyday look, but any color will work as fine.

I used MAC Eye Shadow Gazette Grey, which is described as a 'dark green grey with gold pearl'. When I first swatched it, it felt chalky and didn't seem very pigmented to me, but I changed my mind! It goes on smooth when applied with a brush without any fallouts and is also easy to blend.


STEP 1
- Lunasol Shining Water Eyes EX 04 Shining Beige allover the lid as a base
- Dior Golden Spotlight allover the lid, in the inner corner and 1/2 of the lower lashline to brighten up the eyes



STEP 2

- MAC Gazette Grey from the lashline upwards following the natural shape of your eyes (make sure that the shade is visible when your eyes are open!)
- extend it a bit at the outer corner (this will make your eyes look larger)
- 1/2 of the outer lower lashline



STEP 3
- blend MAC Gazette Grey with a fluffy blending brush
- tightline the upper lashline


STEP 4
- apply mascara


Done! I'm applying my eye makeup this way most of the time with any eyeshadow. It's a super easy and quick 'technique' that never fails on me. I hope, this was helpful! ;)

.
.
.


I seriously think I either need better lighting or a new camera! The colors always get so washed out in my pictures, and I noticed they are a bit blurry too. How annoying is that?! @~&%#'+*?!/§" My bf suggested, I should save up for a DSLR...


Haha, doesn't it look super scary when I look downwards? Oops... the arch of my eyebrows have faded! I must have smudged it without noticing.


Bad angle alert, haha...! MAC Gazette Grey goes so well with Dior Golden Spotlight! I just love the sparkly look.


On my cheeks I used Laura Mercier Second Cheek Color ~ Fresh Ginger for a very subtle flush. It's not very pigmented, but anyone who is a fan of the 'au naturel look' will definitely love this blush! As to me, I do! You probably can't see in the photos, but the glow it gives me is awesome!

On my lips I'm wearing Guerlain Rouge G De Guerlain Jewel Lipstick ~ 02 Gardenia. The packaging of this lipstick is without doubt unique and precious, but honestly I don't like the automatic pop-up mechanism when pulling out the lipstick.


Wearing the Eiffel Tower earrings that I got from Ena of Shanghainese Dumpling! So girly and cute!

______
PRODUCTS I USED

BASE MAKEUP
- Dior Diorskin Sculpt Lifting Smoothing Concealer ~ 001 Ivoire / Ivory
- Estee Lauder Nutritious Vita-Mineral Loose Powder Makeup SPF 15 ~ Intensity 1.0

CHEEKS
- Laura Mercier Second Skin Cheek Color ~ Fresh Ginger

LIPS
- Guerlain Rouge G De Guerlain Jewel Lipstick ~ 02 Gardenia

EYES
- Lunasol Shining Water Eyes ~ EX 04 Shining Beige
- Dior 1 Couleur Ultra Smooth High Impact Eyeshadow ~ 616 Golden Spotlight
- MAC Eye Shadow ~ Gazette Grey (Velvet) 'Pret À Papier Collection 2010'
- MAC Fluidline ~ Blitz & Glitz
- Shiseido Lasting Lift Mascara




.
.
.

Ending this post with a teaser picture of my Chanel haul! It just happened that everything I picked was from Chanel, haha...



Don't forget to visit my blog sale! Thank you! ♥

Oh, and I just added a music player onto my blog! I apologize in advance, if the music is not everyone's cup of tea, haha... If so, just click the STOP button immediately! ;)


Stay pretty!
Stay Ohh... pretty!

29 comments:

LittoMokaa said...

For some reasons, I love all your FOTDS! The color that you choose & the combinations are gorgeous and it's colors that I would never think of getting. Thanks for sharing! =D

Crystal said...

Your looks are always so simple but nice and elegant! Love it!
Can't wait to see the Chanel haul in detail!^0^

lilluna5416 said...

what a great look, as always!!!! i cannot wait to see your new chanel items!

Ushishi said...

I really like glittery shadows on asian eyes, because they really make the eyes pop.Also i love your skin tone, it suits all the makeup you do =)

oh and if your camera is giving you a hard time, taking pictures infront of a window helps a lot (indoor lights tend to wash out colors) and also if your taking pictures of your face closeup use the macro setting at all times :)

xox
-Ana
www.bbrightstar.blogspot.com

huhu said...

I really like the LM blush!

Fancy Nancy said...

very pretty :) im taiwanese too :)

Catherine said...

Fresh Ginger looks sooooo pretty on you! I love your method of creating depth for your eyes. Dior Golden Spotlight is soooooo pretty and it goes really well with Gazette Grey! I wouldn't have thought so at first, but the combination works really well. =)

It's really cool how Asian eyes are all so different looking (though I feel like it makes it SO MUCH harder for us to learn at first)!! For example, if you look at that one picture of my two friends and I, we all have completely differently shaped eyes requiring different eyeshadow placement. For me I use a bright wash on the lid and the darker color only on the outer 1/3 of the lid.

Those earrings are just so cute! Even cuter on you than in the other picture. =)

Jessying said...

I must say Oh Pretty !!! Hehe , eye makeup does brightened up your eyes ! Love it :)

Tammy said...

Ooh I can totally see the difference with the eyes. I wish asian eyes weren't so flat looking lol
You and Chanel! I've been so good not going to the dept store lately but whenever I see your posts I'm always itching to go XD

Connie De Alwis said...

that makeup technique really works! Thanks for sharing :)You look great.

Makeup Morsels said...

hehe I'm 100% Taiwanese as well, but I guess I don't look like it at all. When I go back every year, I get asked at least once a day "so is your mom or your dad white?" I love the looks you do though, monolids can be tough to work with but all of your EOTD's flatter your eye shape perfectly. and omg Dior Golden Spotlight is soo sparkly and pretty

superwoolu said...

how do you do this so flawlessly... *sticks out tongue* >< i will try this when i get back from vacation heheh. vacation time is for my face to relax and to avoid make up except for tons of sunscreen :p

' * : . b | u 3 . : * ' said...

Cute earrings! very romantic :) I should explore Chanel cheek products! Have only tried their lip products so far.

i've been hearing so much about Gazette Grey perhaps I should check it out. Re your comment, it helps that I favour blue-toned purples. Reddish purples like say Nocturnelle or Satellite Dreams give me the bruised look for sure.

fuzkittie said...

<3 Gazette Grey looks amazing against your skin tone!! It might look a little muddy on me with my yellower skin tone. I think the lip color matches perfect with gazette grey!

Jess said...

Crystal, lilluna5146
Hehe, details of the Chanel goodies are coming soon! ;)

LittoMokaa:
Aww, thank you! I always thought my sense for color combos are super boring, haha...

Catherine:
Yes definitely. Asian eyes (also monolids) came in many various forms/shapes.

Tammy:
Sadly, most Asian have flat eyes, hehe... well, gotta learn how to make them still pop, right? ;)

superwoolu:
:p

fuzkittie:
Hehe, that's why I announced that I'm in love with it via facebook! I can only wear muddy shades fro some reason. Can't wear real bronzy browns like you, which look awesome on you, Fuz! :)

izumi said...

what a nice, simple look :D

C'est moi, Cecilia ♥ said...

aw such a pretty look! i think it's one of my favs out of all the ones you've done so far :)

nope those are my natural lashes :) i have them curled & im wearing mascara though.
i still don't know how to apply falsies! :| i always end up giving away the ones i have to my mum.

xoxo

jojoba (My Makeup Reviews) said...

eye look is way perfect but you know what? i keep looking at that lip colour. i think it is a perfect shade for your skin tone.

you have such nice skin.

xbbkay said...

omg i LOVe MAC Gazette Grey . i WANT to get it now. it looks great on your skintone!

beautiful as always <3

Kelly said...

This looks so simple and quick for a rush out the door. The color of your blush looks great on you as well.

Connie said...

Go Taiwan! I love it there.

I'm still trying to figure out my own eye shape. :-/

Fmebunny ♥ said...

woww this tutorial is really helpful for me > < thanks for doing it!
your eyes seem to look bigger and have more depth.
I'll definity try out to copy this look heheee ^^

Nic Nic said...

as mentioned in your previous posts.. i think you do a fab job of softly defining your eyes that suit your eye shapes so well! Super pretty :D I dont think its muddy at all and I love grey ;)

Whitney said...

WOW Jess, what a difference! It looks AMAZING!!

yumiko said...

hey thanks for the tutorial they are really helpful

PinkyKathy said...

love the lip color :)

Lydia said...

hey honey! Not really washed out, but some colours are really hard to photograph. browns, certain shades of pink...
I use a little samsung ES55 and it is a very good camera for being just a regular small digital. Now the sun is shining and days are longer I go beside my window and use natural lighting

Shanghainesedumpling said...

I love your haul jess and you look beautiful as always :)

galpal.hi said...

I love the way you did your eye makeup in this FOTD. It looks really pretty. Thank you for sharing!

*Kat*

Popular Posts